Birt’s Morton is a small village and parish, about 6 ½ miles S.W. from Upton, 7 W. from Tewkesbury, and 7 S.E. from Ledbury, containing a population according to the last census of 318 inhabitants.
Morton Court is a very ancient edifice, entirely surround by a moat, which is in a very perfect state.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a stone building, with square tower and four bells. The edifice does not contain any architectural features worthy of note. The living is a Rectory. Rev. Stephen Thackwell, M.A., Rector; Rev. Stephen Thackwell, jun., M.A., Curate; Mr. John Stephens, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
There is a small Wesleyan Chapel in the parish. No stated minister. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Rayer Mr. John
Thackwell Rev. Stephen, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Thackwell Rev. Stephen, jun., M.A., Curate
Brotheridge John, cider retailer and shopkeeper, Birts’ Street
Goodman Thomas, farmer, Rye Street
Gould Charles, jun., farmer
Grubb Oliver, farmer, Rye Street
Hart William, farmer, Miller’s Farm
Hawkins George, farmer
Hawkins Thomas, farmer, Rye Street
Jakeman William, shopkeeper, Birts’ Street
Lewis Henry, farmer
Pitt William, farmer, Birts’ Street
Pope Elizabeth, farmer, Morton Court
Pye George, farmer, Birts’ Street
Stephens John, Parish Clerk
Wadley John, sen., farmer
Wadley John, farmer, Birts’ Street
Wadley William, dealer
Weaver Mrs., farmer
White John, cider retailer, Comb Green
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855