Last Updated on
Blakemere is an ancient Parish in the union of Weobley, hundred of Webtree, county of Herefordshire.
Alternative names: Blackmoor, Blakemore
Parish church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
Parishes adjacent to Blakemere
- Preston on Wye
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLAKEMERE, or Blackmoor, a parish in Weobley district, Herefordshire; adjacent to the river Wye, and to the Hereford and Brecon railway, 2½ miles SW of Moorhampton station, and 10 W by N of Hereford. Post Town, Peterchurch, under Hereford. Acres, 1,127. Real property, £1,450. Pop., 175. Houses, 36. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Preston-on-Wye, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Blakemere, or Blackmoor, a parish in the hund, of Webtree, county of Hereford; 10½ miles west of Hereford. Living, a discharged vicarage united with that of Preston. There is a small daily school here. Pop., in 1801, 167; in 1831, 190. Houses 36. Acres 1,080. A.P. £1,119. Poor rates, in 1837, £48
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Blakemere, 9 miles N.W. Hereford. P. 183
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Weobley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Hereford
- Poor Law Union: Weobley
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury