Last Updated on

Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Leadon, Stanford Regis, Hailmonds Frome, Walton, Egleton, Eggleton, and Fromes Hill.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1564

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Parishes adjacent to Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill

Historical Descriptions

Bishop’s Frome

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BISHOPS-FROME, a township and a subdistrict in Bromyard district, and a parish in Bromyard and Ledbury districts, Hereford. The township lies on the river Frome, 4 miles S of Bromyard, and 5½ N of Ashperton r. station; and has a post office under Worcester. Real property, £2,329. The parish includes also the townships of Hailmonds-Frome, Leadon, Walton, Stanford-Regis, and Eggleton. Acres, 4,550. Real property, £11,367. Pop., 1,014. Houses, 215. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £608. Patron, the Rev. J Hopton. The church was built in 1862; is in the Norman style; and consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, and vestry, with a tower. The subdistrict contains seven parishes and the greater part of another. Acres, 22,305. Pop., 4,439. Houses, 941.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bishops-Froome, 4 m. S. Bromyard. P. 1079.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Froome, Bishop’s (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford; containing, with the township of Eggleton, 1079 inhabitants, of whom 900 are in the township of Bishop’s-Froome, 4½ miles (S. by E.) from Bromyard. The parish comprises by measurement 4014 acres; the soil in the hills is of light quality, and in the valleys deep and extremely rich; the surface is finely varied, and the scenery enriched with stately timber. The small river Froome flows through the parish, turning numerous mills. There are quarries of limestone and other kinds of stone, extensively wrought; and great quantities of lime are burnt. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king’s books at £8. 5. 10.; net income, £608; patron, Rev. John Hopton; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, the family of Johnson, and others. The church is a very ancient structure, with a handsome Norman arched doorway, and a similar arch between the nave and the chancel. A free school is endowed with £15 per annum; and there are four almshouses for the poor. A court baron for the see of Hereford is held occasionally. Richard Hopton, lord chief justice in the reigns of Charles II. and James II. was buried in the church.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Halmonds Frome

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Froome, Halmonds, a township, in the parish of Bishop’s-Froome, union of Bromyard, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Bromyard; containing, with the townships of Leadon and Walton, 264 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Directories

Bishops Frome Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863

Bishops Frome Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bromyard
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Frome
  • Poor Law Union: Bromyard
  • Hundred: Radlow
  • Province: Canterbury

Photographs

Videos