Ballingham Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863
Ballingham is a small parish and straggling village, distant 9 miles south-south-east from Hereford, 5 north from Ross, 3 south from Holme Lacy station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester railway, and 137 from London, situated on the banks of the river Wye, in Ross union, upper division of Wormelow hundred, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric, and deanery of Archenfield. The church of St. Dubricius is a small stone building, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower and 3 bells. The register dates from 1726. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £165 annually, without residence, in the patronage of Sir Edwyn Francis Scudamore Stanhope, Bart., of Holme Lacy; the Rev. William Pitt Stanhope, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, is the incumbent. Here is a National school for boys and girls. Sir E.F.S. Stanhope is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The population in 1861 was 168. From an eminence called Ballingham Hill a most commanding prospect is obtained of the winding course of the river Wye, and of the adjacent neighbourhood
Carey and Rock Farm are places here.
Parish Clerk, William Willett.
Cadle Clement, esq. Ballingham hall
Preece Mr. Richard, Carey court
Wheeler Mr. Richard
Bullock Edward, farmer, Saycells
Bullock William, blacksmith
Ford Samuel, carpenter
Phillips John, Miners’ Arms
Pitt Thomas, farmer
Preece Edward, butcher, Carey
Smith John, farmer, Rock farm & Carey court
Wellington John, tailor
Post Office. — William Willett, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Ross at 8.50 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 5.1S p.m. Ross is the nearest money order office
National School (boys & girls), Mrs. Williams, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.