Wigmore Herefordshire Family History Guide
Wigmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Places in the parish include: Limebrook.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1572
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Wigmore
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WIGMORE, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Hereford. The village stands 5 miles SE of Bucknell r. station and 9 NW of Leominster; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office under Kingsland, Herefordshire, a police station, and fairs on 6 May and 5 Aug. The parish includes part of Limebrook, and is in Ludlow district. Acres, 3,441. Real property, £3,342. Pop., 499. Houses, 104. The property is subdivided. A castle stood, in the Saxon times, on an eminence a little W of the village; was rebuilt, in the 12th century, by Ranulph Mortimer; and has left some remains. An Augustinian abbey was founded about a mile from the castle by R. Mortimer; went, at the dissolution, to Sir T. Palmer; and also has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £120 Patron, the Bishop of H. The church is early English, and was recently restored. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £8. The hundred contains 14 parishes and 5 parts. Acres, 47,075. Pop., 6,309. Houses, 1,234.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
WIGMORE, a parish in the hundred of WIGMORE, county of HEREFORD, 10 miles (N.W. by N.) from Leominster, containing, with the township of Limebrook, 429 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king’s books at £8, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. James. Limestone abounds here, and it is supposed that coal may be obtained in the neighbourhood. A court leet is occasionally held; and there are fairs for cattle, sheep, &c., on May 6th and August 5th. On a commanding elevation, a little to the westward of the village, are the ivy-mantled ruins of Wigmore castle, the outer works of which are the most perfect : the massive fragments of the keep occupy the summit of a lofty artificial mound, and present an appearance highly grand and picturesque : the founder of this once stately edifice is now unknown, but it is recorded that Edward the Elder caused it to be repaired. It was taken from Edric, Earl of Shrewsbury, by Ranulph de Mortimer, who came over with the Conqueror, and made it his principal seat. The same nobleman, in 1100, established in the parish church a small college of three prebendaries, which continued till 1179, when his son Hugh founded, in honour of St. James, a noble abbey for monks of the order of St. Augustine, about one mile distant from the castle, and endowed it so amply that, at the dissolution, its revenue was estimated at £302. 12. 3. An Alien priory, a cell to that of Aveney in Normandy, is said to have existed, at an early period, at Limebrook in this parish; but it is more certain that a priory of nuns of the order of St. Augustine was founded there by the Mortimers, some time in the reign of Richard I., which at the suppression was valued at £23. 17. 8. In the neighbourhood are traces of a Danish camp.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Wigmore
- Province: Canterbury