Last Updated on
Alkmonton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1848 from chapelry in Longford Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Hungry Bentley and Bentley Hungry.
Parish registers begin: 1850
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Alkmonton
- Barton Blount
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALKMONTON, a township and a chapelry in Longford parish, Derby. The township lies 5 miles NNE of Sudbury r. station, and 6 S by E of Ashborne. Post town, Longford under Derby. Pop., 82. Houses, 15. A chapel and an hospital were founded here, in 1474, by Lord Mountjoy; but are now extinct. The present chapelry was constituted in 1849, and is more extensive than the township. Pop., 164. Houses, 27. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £50. Patron, W. Evans, Esq. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alkmonton, 5 m. S. Derby. P. incl. in Longford parish.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Derbyshire
- Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Cubley
- Poor Law Union: Ashbourne
- Hundred: Appletree
- Province: Canterbury