Wavendon, Buckinghamshire Family History Guide
Wavendon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Aspley Heath, Wavendon Heath, and Woburn Sands.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1567
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1575
Nonconformists include: Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Wavendon
- Bow Brickhill
- Woburn Bedfordshire
- Milton Keynes
- Aspley Guise Bedfordshire
- Hulcote with Salford Bedfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WAVENDON, a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands 1 mile NNW of Woburn-Sands r. station, and 4 NE of Fenny-Stratford; and has a post-office under Woburn, and a police station. The parish includes Woburn-Sands hamlet, and comprises 2,665 acres. Real property, £4,871. Pop., 879. Houses, 202. The property is much subdivided. W. House is the seat of H. A. Hoare, Esq. Fuller’s earth is at W. Heath; and a Roman amphora was found there. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £800. Patron, H. A. Hoare, Esq. The church was restored in 1849. The p. curacy of Woburn-Sands is a separate benefice. A Quakers’ chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school, are at Woburn-Sands; and an endowed school and Charities £175 are at Wavendon.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Newport Pagnell
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Newport
- Poor Law Union: Newport Pagnell
- Hundred: Newport
- Province: Canterbury