South Moreton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Fulscot.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. John
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1599
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Strict Baptist.
Parishes adjacent to South Moreton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MORETON (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Wallingford district, Berks. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Thames, near the Great Western railway, 2¾ miles N W of Wallingford-Road r. station, and 4 WSW of Wallingford; and has a post office under Wallingford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Fulscot, and comprises 1,470 acres. Real property, £2,711. Pop., 371. Houses, 81. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. Sadgrove, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £250. Patron, Magdalen Hall, Oxford. The church is early English, in good condition; and comprises two aisles, part of one of which forms the chancel. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £50.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Moreton, South, co. Berks.
P. T. Wallingford (46) 3½ m. WSW. Pop. 364.
A parish in the hundred of Moreton; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Berks and diocese of Salisbury; valued in K. B. 12l. 15s. 5d.; ann. val. P. R. 139l.; church ded. to St. John; patron, the University of Oxford, in trust for Magdalen Hall.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Civil Registration District: Wallingford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
Rural Deanery: Abingdon
Poor Law Union: Wallingford