Last Updated on

St James' parish church, Marston Meysey
St James’ parish church, Marston Meysey. Nick Smith / St James’ parish church, Marston Meysey / CC BY-SA 2.0

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Marston Maisey

Parish church: St. James

Parish registers begin:

Parish registers: 1742
Bishop’s Transcripts: 1578; 1613

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Marston Meysey

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MARSTON-MAISEY, a parish in the district of Cirencester and county of Wilts; adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, and nearly snrrounded by Gloucestershire, 3 miles NE by N of Cricklade, and 6¼ NNE of Purton r. station. Post town, Cricklade. Acres, 1,276. Real property, with Castle-Eaton and Lushill, £6,171. Rated property of M. M. alone, £1,791. Pop., 215. Houses, 52. The property is mnch subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Valne, £76. Patron, the Rector of Hampton Maisey. The church is good; and there is a slightly endowed national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Marston-Maisey, 3 m. N.E. Cricklade. P. 245

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Cirencester
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Fairford
Poor Law Union: Cirencester
Hundred: Highworth, Cricklade and Staple
Province: Canterbury