Chirton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Conock.
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Churton, Cherrington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1579
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
Parishes adjacent to Chirton
- Urchfont with Stert
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Churton, Chirton, or Cherrington, a village and a parish in Devizes district, Wilts. The village stands near the Ridge-way, and the river Avon, 3 ½ miles SW of Woodborough r. station, and 5 ½ SE by E of Devizes; and has a post-office, of the name Chirton, under Devizes. Real property, £1,599. The parish includes also the tything of Conock. Acres, 1,858. Real property, £2,733. Pop., 382. Houses, 94. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £168. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is excellent.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Cherington or Chirton 1588-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Devizes
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Potterne
Poor Law Union: Devizes
Hundred: Swanborough (Wiltshire)