Broad Hinton, Wiltshire Family History Guide



Status:

Alternative names: Broad Hinton, Broadhinton

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers:
  • Bishop’s Transcripts:

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Broad Hinton

  • Preshute
  • Lydiard Tregoz
  • Ogbourne St Andrew
  • Wootton Bassett
  • Winterbourne Bassett
  • Wroughton
  • Broad Town
  • Clyffe Pypard

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BROAD-HINTON, a parish in Marlborough district, Wilts; 4¼ miles SE of Wooton-Basset r. station, and 6 SSW of Swindon. It has a post office under Swindon. Acres, 3,659. Real property, £2,826. Pop., 657. Houses, 141. The property is divided among about sixteen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £302. Patron, St. Nicholas Hospital, Salisbury. The church is old but good; and has a square embattled tower. The vicarage of Broad Town is a separate benefice. A school has £42 from endowment; and other charities have £32. Sir John Glanville, the eminent lawyer, was a resident.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Marlborough
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Avebury
  • Poor Law Union: Marlborough
  • Hundred: Selkley
  • Province: Canterbury