Box, Wiltshire Family History Guide



Box is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.

Status: Ancient Parish

Other places in the parish include: Kingsdown, Hazelbury Manor, Hazelbury, Wadswick, Wadswell, Middle Hill, Ashley, and Box Quarries.

Parish church: St Thomas a Becket

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608

Nonconformists include: Plymouth Brethren and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Parishes adjacent to Box

  • Bathford
  • Corsham
  • Biddestone
  • Bradford-on-Avon Christ Church
  • Great Chalfield
  • Monkton Farleigh
  • Little Chalfield and Cottles
  • Ditteridge
  • Colerne
  • Atworth with South Wraxall

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

“King George V” Leaving Box Tunnel GWR 1928 The engine is bearing the American Bell presented at the Centenary Exhibition of the Baltimore and Ohio R.R. 1927.

BOX, a village and a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts. The village stands on the Box river, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 5 miles NW by W of Bath; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Chippenam. It contains numerous old houses, and an ancient market cross; and is supposed to occupy the site of Roman baths. Numerous Roman relics have been found in the vicinity; and a Roman pavement and other remains are in the parsonage garden. The parish includes also the hamlets of Wadswick, Box-Quarries, Ashley, Kingsdown, Wadswell, and Middle-Hill, and the manor of Hazelbury. Acres, 4,217. Real property, £10,690; of which £1,425 are in quarries. Pop., 2,051. Houses, 403. The property is subdivided. The surface is a picturesque assemblage of hill and dale. Box Hill has three curious quarries of bathstone, one of them subterranean. Box tunnel, in the course of the railway, is 3,195 yards long, and in some parts 300 feet below the surface; and was formed at a cost of £500,000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £348. Patron, the Rev. H D C S. Horlock. The church is variously early English, decorated, and perpendicular, with central tower and spire; and contains the tomb of Mrs. Bowdler. There is a school, with £75 from endowment. There is also a lunatic asylum.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Box, 7 miles S.W. Chippenham, and 5 miles N.E. Bath. P. 2274

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Horton Horatio Lewis, Box, Wiltshire; and Errintor Paxton, Long Ashton, Somersetshire; builders and contractors, June 27. 1837.

Newman George, Kingsdown, Box, Wiltshire, victualler, March 18, 1823.

Stonall George, Box, Wiltshire, tailor, May 28, 1822.

Administration

  • County: Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Chippenham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Chippenham
  • Hundred: Chippenham
  • Province: Canterbury