Berwick St James, Wiltshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: St James Berwick
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1731
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Parishes adjacent to Berwick St James
- Winterbourne Stoke
- Wilsford cum Lake
- Wishford Magna
- Steeple Langford
- South Newton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BERWICK-ST. JAMES, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Wiley, 2¾ miles NNW of Wishford r. station, and 5½ WSW of Amesbury. Post Town, Winterbourne-Stoke, under Salisbury. Acres, 2,487. Real property, with Stapleford, £4,662. Pop., 252. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £54. Patron, Lord Ashburton. The church is early English, has a Norman doorway, and is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Berwick, St. James, a parish in the division of Salisbury and Amesbury, hund. of Branch and Dole, union of Wilton, county of Wilts; 5½ miles west-south-west of Amesbury. Living, a discharged vicarage, exempt from visitation, a peculiar of the bishop of Salisbury; valued at £8 10s.; gross income £54. Patron, in 1835, Lord Ashburton. There is a day and Sunday school in this parish. Pop., in 1801, 226; in 1831, 232. Houses 44. Acres 2,370. A.P. £2,024. Poor rates, in 1837, £113.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Wilton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Salisbury (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Wilton
- Hundred: Branch and Dole
- Province: Canterbury