Kemble is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Wick, Jervis Quarry, and Ewen.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1679
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Kemble
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KEMBLE, a parish in the district of Cirencester, and county of Wilts; at the Cirencester Junction station of the Cheltenham and Great Western railway, and on the Thames and Severn canal, adjacent to Gloucestershire, 4 miles SW of Cirencester. It includes the tythings of Ewen and Wick; and its post town is Cirencester. Acres, 3,600. Real property, with Poole, £7,002. Rated property of K. alone, £3,840. Pop., 466. Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Miss Gordon. An affluent of the Thames rises here; and the water of it is raised, by a steam-engine, to supply the Thames and Severn canal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £270. Patron, Miss Gordon. The church is ancient; was partly rebuilt in 1840; has a lofty steeple, which was struck and rent by lightning in 1823; and contains a monument of a Knight Templar, and several other monuments. There are a free school, and charities £23.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Kemble, 7 miles N.E. Malmesbury. P. 597
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Civil Registration District: Cirencester
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Cirencester