Last Updated on
Avening is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Aston, Bell Street, Forest Green, Windsors Edge, Tetbury Hill, West End, and Freeholds and part of the chapelry of Nailsworth.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1557
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Avening
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Avening, a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester; 3 ½ miles S of Brimscombe r. station, and 6 SSE of Stroud. It lies within the parliamentary borough of Stroud; has a post-office under that town; and includes the hamlets of Aston, Forest-Green, Freeholds, West-End, Bell-Street, and Windsors-Edge, and part of the chapelry of Nailsworth. Acres, 4,428. Real property, £5,448. Pop., 2,070. Houses, 479. The manor belonged anciently to the nunnery of Caen in Normandy; and passed to the Shepheards. A large tumulus, known as the Longstone and supposed to be the sepulchre of a Danish chief, occurs in a field near Gatcombe Park; and there are several barrows in which human skeletons have been found. A small manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £769. Patron, the Hon. L. H. Harman. The church is thought to have been erected by an abbess of Caen. The p. curacy of Nailsworth is a separate charge. There are three dissenting chapels, a school with £22 a-year from endowment, and other charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Avening, 2 m. S. Minchinhampton. P. 2227
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Avening, a parish in the hund. of Longtree union of Stroud, Gloucestershire; 3 ½ miles north by west from Tetbury, and within the parliamentary boundary of Stroud. It includes a part of the chapelry of Nailsworth. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £24; gross income £811. Patrons, in 1835, the heirs of the late Dr Brooke. A Baptist church was formed here in 1818; Upper Forest Green Independent church in 1822; and Nailsworth Independent church in 1687. Here is a free school supported partly by an endowment of £17 per annum, bequeathed by S. Sandford in 1710, and partly by subscription. There are other five daily schools. Other charities connected with the parish produce about £13 a-year. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of cloth. Pop., in 1801, 1,509; in 1831, 2,396. Houses 500. Acres 4,660. A. P. £4,279. Poor rates, in 1837, £359. In this parish are several barrows in which human skeletons have been found. In a field near Gatcombe park there is a large tumulus, with a stone at each end, and a large one on the summit, known by the name of Longstone, and regarded as a monument to the memory of Long, a Danish chieftain.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Avening, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Tetbury (99) 3¼ m. N b W. Pop. 1118.
A parish in the hundred of Longtree, including a part of the chapelry of Nailsworth. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 24l.; patron and incumbent (1829) Rev. Dr. Brooks. The church, which is ded. to St. Mary, is built upon a rising ground, in the form of a Norman cross, with a tower in the centre. The chief part of the inhabitants are in the clothing line. There are several barrows in this parish in which human skeletons have been found, and in a field adjoining Gatcombe Park is a large tumulus, with a stone at each end and a huge one at the summit, called Longstone, regarded by tradition as a monument to the memory of Long, a Danish chieftain.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Marriages at Avening 1557-1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Longtree
- Province: Canterbury