Avening is a township, parish, and village, 3 ½ miles south from Brimscomb station, 6 ½ south-east-by-south from Stroud, 16 south from Gloucester, 8 east from Dursley, and 100 west from London, in Longtree Hundred, and Stroud Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated on the high road from Tetbury to Minchinhampton. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building in the Saxon style; has nave, chancel, transept, vestry, square embattled tower rising from the middle. There is, in the church, a curious old monument, to Henry Bridges, Esq., bearing the date 1615. The living is a rectory, worth, £656 yearly, with residence and 104 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Rev. Thomas Richard Brooke, who is also the incumbent. There is a chapel for Baptists, as also a National and an Infant school, with small endowments. Belemnites and other fossils are frequent in the neighbourhood. There is still the remains of a Roman foss-road. The population, in 1851, was 2,321, and the acreage is 4,428; the soil is light loam; the subsoil is oolite. William Playne, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are several small charities yearly for apprenticing poor children, &c.

Avening includes the hamlets of Aston, Forest Green, Freeholds, West End, Bell Street and Windsor Edge, with part of the chapelry of Nailsworth. The woollen trade has become less considerable since 1851. Avening Court, Avening Lodge, Leonard’s Brook, The Iron Mills, Lowsmore, Woodhouse, The Rudges, Star and Garter, and Nag’s Head are places here.

Blackwell Mrs. Sarah

Essex Mrs. Mary

Harvey Mrs. Jane

Kentish John George, esq. the Court

Kibble Mrs. Martha

Palmer Mrs. & Miss, the Lodge

Saunders Mrs. Elizabeth, Leonard’s brook

Smith Mrs. Mary

Webbley Rev. Samuel [Baptist]


Avery William, shopkeeper

Bennett Henry, blacksmith

Brown George, beer retailer & haulier, Iron mills

Bull Samuel & Daniel, farmers, West end farm

Caudle Thomas, wheelwright

Caudle William, stonemason

Chandler Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Close Ephraim, stonemason

Cox Matthew, gardener

Day Francis, farmer, Lowsmore farm

Dee John, haulier

Drew John, butcher

Drew William, beer retailer & butcher

Dyer Thomas, general dealer

Essex David, farmer, Brandhouse farm

Essex Job, boot & shoe maker

Essex Samuel, ‘Farriers’ Arms,’ & boot & shoe maker

Essex William, quarryman & farmer

Fowler Edward, farmer, Aston farm

Fowles Joseph, boot & shoe maker

Fowles Oliver, stonemason

Fowles Samuel, jun., tailor, Nag’s head

Fowles Thomas, stonemason

Gauler Edward, stonemason

Gunter Wm., farmer, Woodhouse farm

Holbrow Thomas, shopkeeper

Hopkins John, veterinary surgeon

Hopkins John Harding, New inn, & veterinary surgeon

Hopkins William, blacksmith

Humphris Charles, stonemason

Ind Robert, stonemason

Kimber Edmund, farmer

Maller Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Maller James, wheelwright

May Benjamin, stonemason

Niblet Edwin, ‘Horse & Groom,’ & builder

Powis George, haulier

Rowland John, beer retailer, carpenter & farmer

Rowland Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Sharp James, ‘Cross’

Sharp Robert, stonemason

Singleton James, tiler & plasterer

Smart James, farmer, the Rudges

Smith William, butcher

Thomas Hen., farmer, Star & Garter frm.

Thomas Sampson, shopkeeper & haulier

Tuffley John Fyfield, mealman

Tuffley Saul, quarryman

Waite Harriett (Mrs.), ‘Nag’s Head’

Waite Thomas, baker

Webbley James, boot & shoe maker

White Charles, farmer & shopkeeper

Whiting John, stonemason

Whiting William, stonemason, Nag’s hd

Whitley George, assistant overseer

Wigmore Jeremiah Hasting, farmer, the Farm

Post Office. – Miss Zilpha Jane Sharp, postmistress. Letters arrive through Stroud at ½ past 7 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Nailsworth.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.