Avening is a parish and village, 3½ miles south from Brimscomb station, 6½ south-east-by-south from Stroud. 16 south from Gloucester, 8 east from Dursley, and 100 west from London, in Longtree hundred, Stroud union and county court district, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Stonehouse, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated on the high road from Tetbury to Minchinhampton. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building in the Saxon style; it has nave, chancel, transept, vestry, and square embattled tower rising from the middle; there is in the church a curious old monument to Henry Bridges, Esq., bearing date 1615. The living is a rectory, worth £656 yearly, with residence and 104 acres of glebe land, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Francis Paravicini. There is a National and an Infant school, with small endowments. Here is a Baptist chapel. Belemnites and other fossils are frequent in the neighbourhood. There are still the remains of a Roman foss-road. The population in 1861 was 2,070 ; the acreage is 4,428. The soil is light loam; the subsoil is oolite. William Playne, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are several small charities yearly for apprenticing poor children, &c.. Avening includes the hamlets of Aston, Forest Green, and Windsor Edge, with part of the chapelry of Nailsworth. The woollen trade has become considerable since 1851.

Avening Court; Avening Lodge, Leonard’s Brook, The Iron Mills and Lowsmore are places here.

Parish Clerk, William Fowles.

Gisbourn Mrs

Harvey Mrs

Kibble Mrs

Kimber Edmund, esq. Sandford house

Paravicini Rev. Francis [rector]

Rooke Alexander Beaumont, esq. J. P. The Lodge

Walker Robert O. esq. The Court

Webbley Rev. Samuel [Baptist]

Wheeler Thomas, esq. Leonards brook


Bennett Henry, blacksmith

Brown Sarah (Mrs.), beer retailer, Iron mills

Caudle Thomas, wheelwright

Chandler Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Close Ephraim, stonemason

Curtis John, shopkeeper

Day Francis, farmer, Lowsmore

Drew John, Farriers’ Arms, & butcher

Drew William, New inn, & butcher

Essex David, farmer, Brandhouse

Essex Thomas, Cross, & stonemason

Essex William, stone merchant

Fowler Edward, farmer, Aston

Fowles Joseph, shoemaker

Fowles Oliver, stonemason

Fowles Samuel, tailor

Fowles William, mealman

Gunter William, farmer, Woodhouse

Holbrow Thomas, shopkeeper

Hopkins John, veterinary surgeon

Hopkins John Harding, veterinary surgeon

Hopkins William, blacksmith

Jeens John William, silk throwster

Mailer Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Mailer James, wheelwright

May Benjamin, stonemason

Powis George, haulier

Ricks William, Nag’s Head, & carpntr

Rowland Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Rowland John, carpenter

Sharp Robert, stonemason

Singleton James, tiler & plasterer

Smart James, farmer, Rudges

Thomas Henry, farmer

Thomas Sampson, shopkeeper

White Charles, farmer & shopkeeper

White Daniel, baker

Whiting John, stonemason

Whiting William, stonemason

Wigmore Jeremiah Hastings, farmer

Wilkins Thomas, assistant overseer

Post Office.— Mrs. H. Chandler, postmistress.

Letters arrive through Stroud at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Minchinhampton.

National School, E. W. Berry, master.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.