Nailsworth, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Other places in the parish include: Shortwood.
Parish registers begin: 1794
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to Nailsworth
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Nailsworth, a large village and a chapelry in the SE of Gloucestershire. The village stands in the vale of Rodborough, at the terminus of the Stonehouse and Nailsworth railway, amid pleasant environs, 2 miles SW of Minchinhampton, and 5 ¾ of Stonehouse; has a post-office under Stroud, a railway station, two good inns, a public drinking-fountain, a subscription-room for lectures and concerts, a church, six dissenting chapels, a mechanics’ institute, a national school, a British school, a weekly market on Saturday, and a monthly cattle market; and carries on extensive woollen cloth manufacture, pin-making, and the making of bed-steads, gun-stocks, and walking-sticks. The railway to it is a branch from the Midland line at Stonehouse, and was opened in the early part of 1867. – The chapelry has no precise limits; but practically includes portions of the parishes of Avening, Horsley, and Minchinhampton. Extensive beech woods are in the neighbourhood, and supply materials for some of the local manufactures. Several barrows are also in the vicinity, and have been opened. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100. Patrons, Trustees and the Rector of Avening.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Blackwell Edw. Jackson, Nailsworth, Gloucestersh., cloth manuf., July 24, 1829.
Bliss Henry, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, list manufacturer, Jan. 8, 1839.
Browne Obed Edom, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, cloth manuf , April 18, 1826.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Longtree
- Province: Canterbury