Last Updated on
Minchinhampton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire. Nailsworth is a chapelry of Minchinhampton.
Other places in the parish include: Box, Burley, Chalford, Cowcombe, Forwood, Theescombe, Holcombe, Hyde, Littleworth, St Cloe, and Hampton.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Minchinhampton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MINCHINGHAMPTON, a town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Stroud district, Gloucester. The town stands on a gentle declivity, near the Thames and Severn canal, 1 mile S of Brimscombe r. station, and 3¾ SE of Stroud; was given, by William the Conqueror, to the nunnery of Caen; took thence the first part of its name, by corruption of Monachyn, signifying a nun; passed to the Windsors and the Sheppards; figured long as a place of considerable importance, but has latterly declined; consists chiefly of four streets at right angles to one another, but is irregularly built, and contains many houses so dilapidated as to be uninhabitable; and has a post office‡ under Stroud, a police station, a church, a Baptist chapel, endowed schools for boys, a national school, almshouses for 8 aged women, school endowments to the amount of £184, and charities £118. The church was built, in the time of Henry III., by the nuns of Caen; was partially rebuilt in 1842; is decorated English and cruciform, with central octagonal tower; and contains several curious brasses. A weekly market is held on Tuesday; fairs, for horses, cattle, and sheep, are held on Trinity Monday, and 27 Oct.; woollen cloth manufacture is carried on; and there are a few maltings in the neighbourhood, and a brewery at Forwood.—The parish includes the town division, and the tythings of Chalford and Rodborough, comprising the hamlets of Box, Forwood, Holcombe, Littleworth, Theescombe, Amberley, St. Cloe, Chalford, Hyde, Burley, Brimscombe, and Cowcombe, also part of the chapelry of Nailsworth; and all forms part of the parliamentary borough of Stroud. Acres, 4,895. Real property, with the rest of Nailsworth, £17,888; of which £139 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4,469; in 1861, 4,147. Houses, 1,004. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of families to London and other large towns. The manor belongs to H. D. Ricardo, Esq. A large common, on the W side of the town, was given to the inhabitants, in the time of Henry VIII., by Dame Alice Hampton; and comprised originally about 1,000 acres; but has been diminished, by successive encroachments, to little more than 500 acres. A remarkable entrenchment is on the common; extends nearly 3 miles, from Littleworth, to a valley on the opposite side of the town, called Woeful Lane Bottom; and is conjectured to have been the scene of a great overthrow of the Danes, possibly the much disputed site of the battle of Ethandune in 879. A petrifying spring is near Chalford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £433. Patron, H. D. Ricardo, Esq. The p. curacy of Brimscombe and the rectories of Rodborough and Amberley are separate benefices. Chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists and a national school are in Brimscombe. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Minchinhampton, 99 miles S.W. London, and 12m. S.E. Gloucester. Mrkt., Tues. P. 7037
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Budd John, Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, maltster & baker, Jan. 15, 1830.
Minchinhampton Memories Paperback – 15 Apr 2010 by Maureen Reader (Author). Countless members of this valued community have been questioned, and everyone from the butcher at Taylors to the Parish Councillor have added their piece to the rich tapestry of Minchinhampton’s heritage. The stories featured are as varied as the people who live in the village, from a humorous tale of one resident almost bumping into a cow on his way to work on Minchinhampton Common, to the wonderful theatrical productions of the 1970s, which attracted people from miles around. This book will be of interest to anyone who knows and loves this very special corner of the Cotswolds.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Longtree
- Province: Canterbury