Pocklington Yorkshire Family History Guide
Pocklington is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Yorkshire.
Alternative names: Pocklington with Yapham cum Meltonby and Owsthorpe
Other places in the parish include: Yapham with Meltonby, Yapham cum Meltonby, Yapham, Pocklington with Yapham, Owsthorpe, Ousthorpe, Ousethorpe, and Meltonby.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
Pocklington with Yapham cum Meltonby and Owsthorpe:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Yapham with Meltonby:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Pocklington
- Great Givendale with Grimthorpe
- Millington with Little Givendale
- Kilnwick Percy
- Thornton with Allerthorpe
- Barmby on the Moor
- Hayton with Bielby
- Bishop Wilton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
POCKLINGTON, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in E. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on a small affluent of the river Derwent, on the York and Market-Weighton railway, within a mile of a canal going to the Derwent at East Cottingwith, and on a flat tract near the Wolds, 13 miles by road, but 16½ by railway, E by S of York; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling-place; consists chiefly of two streets; and has a post-office under York, a railway station, two banking offices, a good inn, a public hall, a church, three dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a free grammar school, a national school, a workhouse, and charities £186. The church is chiefly early English; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with pinnacle tower; and contains several interesting monuments. The churchyard contains an old cross, exhumed and restored in 1835. The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1866. The Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1863: and is in the decorated English style, with apsidal chancel. The grammar school was founded in 1515, and rebuilt in 1819; has 5 exhibitions at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and an endowed income of £1,020 a year; and had Wilberforce as a scholar. The workhouse is recent; and, at the Census of 1861, had 73 inmates. A weekly market is held on Saturday; fairs are held on 7 March, 6 May, 5 Aug., and 8 Nov.; and there are flax-works, a brewery, an iron-foundry, and corn mills. About 500 coins, from Henry VIII. till Charles II., were found in the vicinity in 1848. The township is conterminate with the reputed limits of the town, and comprises 2,520 acres. Real property, £10,620; of which £75 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 2,546; in 1861, 2,671. Houses, 600. The manor belongs to the Hon. A. Duncombe. The parish contains also the townships of Yapham, Owsthorpe, and Meltonby; and comprises 4,668 acres. Real property, £14,086. Pop. in 1851, 2,761; in 1861, 2,923. Houses, 644. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of York.
The sub-district contains also the parishes of Barmby-on-the-Moor, Allerthorpe, Thornton, Great Givendale, Millington, Huggate, Warter, Kilnwick-Percy, and Burnby, and the townships of East Cottingwith, Bolton, and Nunburnholme. Acres, 40,076. Pop., 6,954 Houses, 1,445. The district comprehends also the sub-district of East Stamford-Bridge, containing the parishes of Kirby-under-Dale, Fridaythorpe, Bugthorpe, Skirpen-beck, Full-Sutton, Fangfoss, Wilberfoss, and Sutton-upon-Derwent, and three townships of Catton, two of Bishop-Wilton, one of Wharram-Percy, and one of Scrayingham; and the sub-district of Market-Weighton, containing the parishes of Market-Weighton, Sancton, Goodmanham, Londesborough, Harswell, Seaton-Ross, Everingham, and Hayton, and the townships of South Cliff and Thorpe-le-Street. Acres of the district, 107,636. Poor-rates in 1863, £6,015. Pop. in 1851, 16,098; in 1861, 16,710. Houses, 3,415. Marriages in 1863, 114; births, 531, of which 62 were illegitimate; deaths, 307, of which 108 were at ages under 5 years, and 14 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,085; births, 5,297; deaths, 3,169. The places of worship, in 1851, were 35 of the Church of England, with 6,106 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 790 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 125 s.; 35 of Wesleyans, with 3,842 s.; 20 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,599 s.; and 3 of Roman Catholics, with 565 s. The schools were 23 public day schools, with 1,040 scholars; 51 private day schools, with 1,091s.; and 38 Sunday schools, with 1,834 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Abbey Thomas, Pocklington, Yorkshire, ironmonger, Jan. 1, 1822.
Bagley George, Pocklington, Yorkshire, spirit merchant, March 31, 1821.
Gray Michael, Pocklington Canal Head, Yorkshire, coal merch., April 15, 1836.
Rispin William, Pocklington, Yorkshire, currier & leather seller, Oct. 27, 1840.
Voakes William, Pocklington, Yorkshire, draper and hawker, Jan. 20, 1832.
Wilson Thomas Knowlton, Pocklington, Yorkshire, tanner, May 22, 1832.
Civil Registration District: Pocklington
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of York
Rural Deanery: Harthill and Hull
Poor Law Union: Pocklington