Mangotsfield, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Mangotsfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Downend is a chapelry of Mangotsfield.
Other places in the parish include: Staplehill.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1579
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Mangotsfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MANGOTSFIELD, a village and a parish in the district of Keynsham and county of Gloucester. The village stands adjacent to the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 6 miles N E of Bristol; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bristol. The parish contains also Staplehill and Downend. Acres, 2,591. Real property, £9,975; of which £30 are in quarries, £500 in mines, and £65 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 3,967; in 1861, 4,222. Houses, 922. The property is much subdivided. There are numerous good residences. Pennant stone is worked in the N; and the coal tract of Kingswood adjoins the S. There was anciently a nunnery; and remains of it existed in the time of Leland. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Downend, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £251. Patron, the Rev. A. Peache. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1850: is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, N aisle, chantry, and chancel, with tower and spire. A chapel of ease, with 1,020 sittings, is at Downend. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, two national schools, an infant school, and an Independent day school. A police station is at Staplehill.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Mangotsfield, co. Gloucester.
P.T. Bristol (114) 5m. NE b E. Pop. 3179.
A parish in the hundred of Barton Regis; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Bristol, of the certified value of 13l.; ann. val. P. R. 123; church ded. to St. James; patrons (1829) the Rev. T. Brooke, &c.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Keynsham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Keynsham
- Hundred: Barton Regis
- Province: Canterbury