Last Updated on
Maisemore is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1733 from chapelry in Gloucester St Mary de Lode Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Parishes adjacent to Maisemore
- Gloucester Pool Meadow
- Gloucester St Nicholas
- Gloucester St Mary de Lode
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MAISEMORE, a village and a parish in the district and county of Gloucester. The village stands near the river Severn, 2 miles NNW of Gloucester r. station; and has post office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,930 acres. Real property, £5,033. Pop., 51. Houses, 107. Maisemole Lodge is the seat of J. F. Sevier, esq., and stands on high Ground, commanding a fine view over the Severn. Springhill is the residence of the Misses Crawley. A bridge crosses an affluent of the Severn; and was rebuilt after the siege of Gloucester. A Roman settlement was at Overton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £120. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester. The church has Norman features; and the chancel was rebuilt in 1844, and the rest restored and enlarged in 1869.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Maisemore 1538-1813
Note. – The Maisemore Parish Registers, 1538-1813, are contained in five parchment books of varying size, beginning with an Elizabethan Transcript of Burials 1538-1600, and Marriages 1557-1590. The Transcript of Burials is perfect save for one leaf torn out and lost, containing the years 1585-88. The transcript of Marriages is obviously mutilated at the end, having lost from seven to ten years. This Volume I was unbound until a few years ago, when it was, along with Volume III, strongly and well bound by order of the Vicar and Churchwardens.
The early Burials and Marriages, together with the Baptisms 1600-1663, were transcribed and published in Gloucestershire Notes and Queries, part xl, for October 1888, and following parts, and those Marriages are here reprinted. It is there stated that no more Marriages are recorded till 1653; this date should have bee 1655. The Register throughout are in a sound and satisfactory condition, with very few illegible entries.
The living of Maisemore was a Perpetual Curacy, now called a Vicarage. Bigland, the county historian, gives a list of four incumbents of the parish, as follows :- 1735, William Huddlestone, clerk; 1745, James Pitt; 1784, Martin Stafford Smith; 1793, Richard Raikes, A.M. There is no mention of Huddlestone anywhere in the Register. It seems clear that John Wall was Curate from 1715 till his death in 1746, and it is quite certain that he was succeeded by another John Wall till 1761. James Pitt was not Curate till 1769, and Martin Stafford Smith, who succeeded him in 1778, was not the immediate predecessor of Richard Raikes.
These extracts have been made by Mr. Conway Dighton, of Cheltenham, by permission of the Rev. C. E. Dighton, Vicar of Maisemore.
The following newspapers cover the area.
Research Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Gloucester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Gloucester
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury