Eastington (near Stroud), Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Eastington (near Stroud) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Alkerton.
Parish registers begin: Eastington: 1558; Alkerton: 1558
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Eastington
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Eastington, a tything and a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The tything lies on the Stroudwater canal, near the Bristol and Gloucester and the Gloucester and Hereford Junction railways, 2½ miles W of Stonehouse r. station, and 4½ W of Sroud; has a post-office under Stonehouse; and contains the workhouse of Wheatenhurst. Pop., 712. Houses, 137. The parish includes also the tything of Alkerton. Acres, 2,042. Real property, £6,852. Pop., 1,717. Houses, 372. The property is much subdivided. Eastington House is a principal residence. A considerable woollen manufacture has been carried on, but has recently declined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £551. Patron, the Rev. T. Peters. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; and has a brass of 1518, and a Norman font. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school has £19 from endowment; and other charities has £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alkerton, in Eastington par. P. 1210.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Alkerton, a tything, in the parish of Eastington, union of Wheatenhurst, Lower division of the hundred of Whitstone, E division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (W.) from Stroud; containing 1108 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Alkerton, a tything in the parish of Eastington, Gloucestershire; 3 miles west from Stroud. Pop., in 1821, 963; in 1831, 1,055. Houses 218. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel and school; also a Baptist chapel and school.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Marriages at Eastington 1558 to 1812
Note. – Volume I, of parchment, with parchment cover. The Marriage entries, 1558 to 1658, occupy the last twelve pages.
Volume II, of similar make, contains Marriage entries, 1661 to 1686, between the space occupied by the Baptisms and the Burials.
Volume III, of similar material, but broader make, contains the Marriage entries, 1687 to 1698, on two pages between the Burials of 1698 and the Baptisms of 1695; the Marriages 1699 to 1705, between Burials 1705 and Baptisms 1702; and after 1705 the Marriages occur under each year with the Baptisms and Burials to 1734. There is a deficiency in the Register, 1735 to 1753, which has been supplied from the transcripts at Gloucester, except for 1735, for which year there is no transcript.
Volume IV contains Marriages and Banns, entered on the usual printed forms, 1754 to 1808.
Volume V contains Marriages, 1809 to 1812, and Banns to 1821.
All the earlier entries, and most entries till after the middle of the seventeenth century are in Latin, but are here transcribed in English.
The transcription of the entries has been made by the Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., of Salisbury. It has been collated by him with the late Mr. T. W. Cattell’s copy of the transcripts at Gloucester, 1578 to 1696, and is here printed with the sanction of the Rev. G. T. Altimas Ward, Rector of Eastington.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury