Preston upon the Weald Moors is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Preston upon the Wild Moors, Preston
Parish registers begin: 1693
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Preston upon the Weald Moors
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PRESTON-UPON-THE-WILD-MOORS, a parish in Wellington district, Salop; on the Shropshire canal, 2 miles W N W of Donnington r. station, and 3 NE of Wellington. Post-town, Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1,057. Real property, £1,672. Pop., 228. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £198. Patron, alternately Preston Hospital and Col. Charton. The church is good. Preston Hospital here was founded in 1716, by Lady Herbert; is a quadrangle, with accommodation for 28 widows and 20 girls, and with a chapel and a school; and has an endowed income of £1,757.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Preston; or Preston upon the Wildmores or Wildmoors. A parish in the Newport division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a chapel or rectory discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 50 houses, 209 inhabitants. 5 miles south-west of Newport.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Wellington
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury