Oldbury Shropshire Family History Guide
Oldbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St Nicholas
Parish registers begin: 1582
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Oldbury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OLDBURY, a village and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands near the river Severn and the Severn Valley railway, 1 mile SSW of Bridgnorth; and has a post-office under Bridgnorth. The parish comprises 808 acres. Pop. in 1851, 131; in 1861, 207. Houses, 41. The increase of pop. arose from the operations of a Freehold Land society. Traces exist of an encampment from which the parliamentarian army, in the civil wars of Charles I., bombarded Bridgnorth Castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £254. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and has a bell turret.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Oldbury. A parish in the Chelmarsh, or Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Stottesden, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 18 houses, 110 inhabitants. ¾ mile south-west of Bridgnorth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Oldbury Parish Registers 1582-1812
Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVI (1915)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W. G. D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Haslewood George Dowlar, Oldbury, Salop, apothecary, May 7, 1830.
Nash William, Oldbury, Salop, grocer, Aug. 19, 1842.
Nock Thomas, Oldbury, Salop, coal master, Nov. 26, 1841.
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
- Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury