Stokesay, Shropshire Family History Guide
Stokesay is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Aldon, Bloom and Rowton, Broom and Rowton, Whettleton, Stoke and Newton, Wettleton, and Rowton.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Parishes adjacent to Stokesay
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOKESAY, a parish, with four townships and a part, in Ludlow district, Salop; on the river Onny, and on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 1¼ mile S by E of Craven-Arms r. station, and 7 NW of Ludlow. Post town, Cravens-Arms, Shropshire. Acres, 3,567. Real property, £4,184. Pop., 559. Houses, 109. The manor belongs to Earl Craven. S. Castle is a min; and Norton is a Saxon camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £351. Patron, the Rev. J. G. D. La Touche. There is a slightly endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stokesay, a parish in the hund. of Munslow, union of Ludlow, county of Salop; 6½ miles north west of Ludlow, on the river Onny. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £4 13s. 4d., returned at £123 3s.; gross income £340. Patron, in 1841, R. Marston, Esq. Here is a daily school, endowed with £7 8s. per annum. Acres 3,750. Houses 103. A. P. £3,531. Pop., in 1801, 512; in 1831, 529. Poor rates, in 1838, £250.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Aldon. A township in the parish of Stoke Say, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. 5 ½ miles north-west of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Stokesay Parish Registers 1559-1837
The Register of Stokesay
Registers (and Transcript), 1559-1812, Marriages to 1837
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVII (1920)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ludlow
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Munslow
- Province: Canterbury