Upton Magna is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St Lucia
Parish registers begin: 1563
Parishes adjacent to Upton Magna
- Haughton Demesne
- Ercall Magna
- Shrewsbury Holy Cross with St Giles
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
UPTON (MAGNA), a parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford (South), county of Salop, 5¼ miles (E.) from Shrewsbury, containing, with the extra-parochial liberty of Haughmond Demesne, 667 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king’s books at £ 12, and in the patron age of the Rev. Corbet Browne. The church is dedicated to St. Lucia. The Shrewsbury canal passes through the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Preston Boats Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Preston on the Boats; or Preston Boats. A township in the parish of Upton Magna, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South, on the banks of the Severn. 2 miles south-east by east of Shrewsbury.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Atcham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wellington
- Poor Law Union: Atcham
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury