Great Bolas or Bolas Magna is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Great Bolas is a parish and village situate on the river Tern, seven miles north from Wellington, in the hundred of South Bradford, rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield. It includes the township of Meeson, on the south-east. Its total area is about 1,897 acres, and its population in 1801 was 207; in 1831, 255; in 1841, 228; and in 1901, 255. It must not be confused with Little Bolas, which is a township of Hodnet, and lies due north, the river Tern forming the boundary between Great and Little Bolas.
Other places in the parish include: Meeson.
Parish registers begin: 1582
Parishes adjacent to Great Bolas
- Waters Upton
- Ercall Magna
- Child’s Ercall
- Stoke upon Tern
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOLAS MAGNA, or Great Bolas, a township and a parish in Wellington district, Salop. The township lies on the river Tern, 2¼ miles NNE of Crudgington r. station, and 6½ WNW of Newport; and has a post office, of the name of Great Bolas, under Wellington, Salop. The parish includes also the township of Meeson. Acres, 1,845. Real property, £3,069. Pop., 278. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £304. Patron, Viscount Hill.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Bolas (Great). A parish in the Newport division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 5 ½ miles north-west of Newport. 33 houses, 274 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Meeson. A township in the parish of Bolas Magna, and in the Newport division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 6 miles north-west by west of Newport.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Great Bolas Parish Registers 1582-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XIII (1913)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Wellington
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury