Last Updated on
Edstaston was taken out of Wem, and formed into a separate parish, in 1850. It includes the hamlets of Edstaston and Cotton, and comprises an area of 3,721 acres. The population in 1901 was 740.
Parish registers begin: 1712
Parishes adjacent to Edstaston
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Edstaston, a chapelry in the parish of Wem, county of Salop; 2 miles north-north-east of Wem. Houses 82. Pop., in 1821, 397; in 1831, 397. Other returns with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Edstaston. A township in the parish of Wem, and in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. A chapel to Wem, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 2 miles north of Wem.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Edstaston Parish Registers 1712-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. X (1908)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wem
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Wem
- Poor Law Union: Wem
- Hundred: North Bradford
- Province: Canterbury