Donington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St. Cuthbert
Parish registers begin: 1556
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Donington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DONINGTON, a parish in Shiffnall district, Salop; on the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway, contiguous to Boscobel and Royal Oak, 1 mile NW of Albrighton r. station, and 4½ SE by E of Shiffnall. Post town, Albrighton, under Wolverhampton. Acres, 2, 641. Real property, £6, 128; of which £150 are in quarries. Pop., 456. Houses, 84. The property is divided among a few. Tonge Castle, Kilsall, and Dodington Hall are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £673. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is old but good, and has a fine tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Donnington. A parish in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstry, a rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 67 houses, 330 inhabitants. 5 miles south-east of Shifnal.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Donington Parish Registers 1556-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. III (1901)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Family History Links
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Shifnal
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Shifnal
- Poor Law Union: Shifnal
- Hundred: Brimstree
- Province: Canterbury