Besford Worcestershire Family History Guide
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: FamilySearch states: 1539; Littlebury’s Directory 1879 states: 1750.
Besford church is unique in this county for being a timber-framed structure, probably erected during the Perpendicular period, as the western window presents a curious specimen of the style, its mullions and tracery being of wood.
Parishes adjacent to Besford
Besford Court The original timbered-framed Besford Court dates from around 1500, this was added to in 1912 when the large stonebuilt extension was added. The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Halling and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Besford, a chapelry in St. Andrew-Pershore parish, Worcester; on the river Avon and on the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, 2 miles WSW of Pershore. Post Town, Pershore. Acres, 1,300. Real property, £2,025. Pop., 164. Houses, 34. Besford Court here is the seat of Sir T. G. S. Sebright, Bart. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of St. Andrew-Pershore, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is old, and has a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Besford, a parochial chapelry in the upper division of the hund, and union of Pershore, county of Worcester; 2½ miles west by south of Pershore, near the Avon, and on the line of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of St Andrew’s, Pershore. There is a daily school here. Pop., in 1801, 126; in 1831,146. Houses 31. Acres 1,300. A.P. £1,991. Poor rates, in 1837, £76.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Besford, 2½ m. W. Pershore. P. 179
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Besford – a hamlet and chapelry in the parish and hundred of Pershore; 2 miles W.S.W from Pershore, and 104 from London; containing 29 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 126 – 1811, 127 – 1821, 154.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional division: Pershore
- Polling District: Pershore
- County Court District: Pershore