Bransford is a chapelry of Leigh Parish in Worcestershire.
The parish also includes: Bransford Bridge
The church is dedicated to St. John The Baptist.
The origins of the name ‘Bransford’ are uncertain, but it is believed to mean ‘hill-top ford’ or ‘ford at Bragen’. This is dervied from ‘braegen’, old English for crown of the head or topographically a hill and then ‘ford’. In the Doomsday Book, Bransford was called Bradnesforde and included information about Urso from the Pershore Church and mill. Bransford was home to Wulstan de Bransford, the Bishop of Worcester from 1338–49. Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 the parish ceased to be responsible for maintaining the poor in its parish, a responsibility transferred to Martley Poor Law Union.
Parishes adjacent to Bransford
- Malvern Link
- Worcester St Johns in Bedwardine
The Imperial Gazetteer 1870
Bransford, a chapelry in Leigh parish, Worcestershire; on the river Teme, adjacent to the Malvern railway, 4½ miles SW by W of Worcester. It has a station, of the name of Bransford-Road, on the railway; and its Post Town is Powick, under Worcester. Acres, 1,190. Real property, £2,118. Pop., 270. Houses, 59. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; impropriate in Earl Somers. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer 1870
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
Bransford, a chapelry, in the parish of Leigh, union of Martley, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Worcester; containing 277 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1034 acres of rich land, whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. It is situated on the south of the river Teme, in the eastern part of the parish, and is crossed from north to south by the road from Worcester to Hereford. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure, containing about 100 sittings.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Bransford – a hamlet and chapelry, in the parish of Leigh, hundred of Pershore, lower division, 4 miles W.S.W. from Worcester, and 115 from London; containing 49 inhabited houses: it has a good bridge over the river Teme. Population, 1801, 237 – 1811, 215 – 1821, 264.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
It was in 1894 that Bransford was separated from Leigh as an ecclesiastical parish and made into a civil parish of its own right. Bransford was once devoted to pasture and had 2,366 acres of arable land as well as a further 1,062 separate acres of land. There was once a clothing factory by the Teme, explaining why 7 women worked in dress in 1881. There was also a snuff-mill, which then became a corn-mill. When the clothing factory and snuff-mill disappeared, people became involved heavily in agriculture, which explains why in 1881 at least 46 people were engaged in agriculture as their occupation. It was at this time that men were involved in agriculture, whilst women were working in occupations such as domestic services (12 women) and dress services (4 women). Ninety women that lived in Bransford had an unspecified occupation, which was representative of the time. Today, there are 186 residents in employment. 8 people now work in agriculture, compared to 46 in 1881. Wholesale and retail trade now has the highest level of works in Bransford, with 35 people (18.8% of employment) working in this field. Human health and social work has the second highest level of employment in Bransford with jobs in education being third highest. This shows a huge change from 1881 where the majority of jobs were in agriculture, mining and domestic services.
Population and Age
The population has steadily increased since 1881. There was a slight decrease in 1891 but then it continued to increase until 1911. In 1911, the population was at 263 but this then steeply dropped to 198 in 1921. This was most likely due to World War 1 leading to a vast decrease in population. Since 1961, there has been a sharper increase in population, going from 267 to 389 today. It is important to note that there was no census information between 1961 and 2001, so there may have been changes here that were not recorded. Today, the population may be increasing due to a growing population, as well as the growing number of businesses in Bransford. In 1881 there were 129 males and 128 females living in Bransford. This has changed quite drastically today, as there are 187 males and 202 females. Due to this rise in population there was an increase in housing, going from 62 houses in 1881 compared with the 171 households there are in Bransford today.
The mean age in Bransford is 49.4 and the median age is 53. The largest age bracket is 45–59 years old, as 23.9% of people in Bransford are of this age.
Family History Links
The following records are available free from FamilySearch.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional division: Worcester
- County Court district: Great Malvern
- Polling District: Malvern Link