Benthall, Shropshire Family History Guide
Benthall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1735 from a chapelry in Much Wenlock Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin: 1640
Parishes adjacent to Benthall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BENTHALL, a parish in Madeley district, Salop; near the river Severn, 2 miles NE of Much-Wenlock r. station. Post Town, Much-Wenlock, under Wellington. Acres, 824. Real property, £1,704. Pop., 499. Houses, 102. The property is all in one estate. Lime spars are found; and potteries are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £93. Patron, the Vicar of Much-Wenlock. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Benthall, 2½ m. W. Broseley. P. 587
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Benthall. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock. A curacy not in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 119 houses, 554 inhabitants. 3 miles north-west of Wenlock.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Universal British Directory 1791
Benthall, the next adjoining parish west (to Madeley), had two large earthenware manufactories, one of which is carried on by Mr. John Bell, and the other by John Thursfield, a Quaker.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Madeley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Wenlock
- Poor Law Union: Madeley
- Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
- Province: Canterbury