Bolton Percy is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Appleton Roebuck, Steeton with Streethouses, Hornington, Pallathorpe, and Colton.
In October 1875, the township of Appleton-Roebuck was detached from the parish of Bolton Percy and added to Acaster Selby.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1571
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Bolton Percy
- Askham Bryan
- Kirkby Wharfe
- Acaster Malbis
- Askham Richard
- Acaster Selby
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
BOLTON-PERCY, a township and a parish in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, and on the York and North Midland railway, 3½ miles ESE of Tadcaster; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Tadcaster. Acres, 2,170. Real property, £5,546. Pop., 292. Houses, 51.. The parish contains also the townships of Appleton-Roebuck, Colton, and Steeton. Acres, 7,148. Real property, £13,492. Pop., 1,118. Houses, 237. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Percys of Topcliffe, and afterwards to the Beaumonts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £1,540. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is perpendicular English; was erected in 1423; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and north chapel, with a handsome tower; and contains three beautiful stalls, a well-preserved piscina, a monument to Lord Fairfax, the famous parliamentary general, and a memorial window of 1860 to Sir W. M. Milner, Bart. There are a Wesleyan chapel, three public schools, and charities £34.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1831
BOLTON-PERCY, a parish in the ainsty of the city, and east riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Appleton-Roebuck, Bolton-Percy, Colton, and Steeton, and containing 1054 inhabitants, of which number, 238 are in the township of Bolton Percy, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Tadcaster. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king’s books at £39. 15. 2½., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was built in 1423, by Thomas Parker, the rector : it is a neat structure, decorated with a considerable quantity of stained glass, and containing several monuments belonging to the family of Fairfax.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850
Appleton-Roebuck, 1½ mile N.E. Bolton-Percy. P. 564
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Tadcaster
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Bishopthorpe
- Poor Law Union: Tadcaster
- Hundred: York (Ainsty)
- Province: York