Acaster Malbis Yorkshire Family History Guide
Acaster Malbis is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Alternative names: Over Acaster
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin: 1693
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Acaster Malbis
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ACASTER-MALBIS, a township and a parish in York district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ouse, 2 miles E of Copmanthorpe r. station, and 5 S of York; and has a post office under York. The parish includes also part of the township of Naburn. Acres, 1,780. Real property, £2,894. Pop., 359. Houses, 61. The property is all in one estate; and it derived its name from the Malbisse family, who flourished here for several centuries after the Conquest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £56. Patron, F. Lawley, Esq. The church is very good. Charities, £35.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Acaster-Malbis, 4 miles S. York. P. 1322
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acaster-Malbis (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of York, partly in the Ainsty wapentake and W. riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of Ouze and Derwent, E. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from York; containing 148 inhabitants, of which number 322 are in the township of Acaster-Malbis. This place partly derives its name from the family of Malby, who flourished here for some centuries after the Conquest, until at length a daughter and heiress was married to Fairfax, of Walton, created Viscount Emley. It comprises by computation 1839 acres, and is intersected by the navigable river Ouse. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £56; patron and impropriator, Sir F. Lawley, Bart. A school is endowed with land given by John Knowles in 1603, which produces £29. 4. 7. per annum, and is vested in feoffees, who appoint fourteen poor children on the foundation.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Acaster-Malbis, or Over-Acaster, a parish, including a township of the same name, partly in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, east riding of York, and partly in the ainsty of the city of York, union of York; 3½ miles south of York, and about 1½ mile west of the line of the Northern and Eastern railway. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of York; rated at £5 6s. 5½ d., and in the parliamentary return of 1810 at £32 per annum; gross income £56. The windows of the chancel contain some curious stained glass figures. Patron, in 1835, F. Lawley, Esq. A college, with a provost and two or three fellows, was founded here by Robert Stillington, and dedicated to St Andrew, valued at £27 13s. 4d. per annum, nett. By the bequest of John Knowles, in 1603, the sum of £35 is yearly given, partly for the instruction of 14 poor children, and partly to the poor of the parish. The town derives its name from the Malbisse family, which flourished here for several centuries after the Norman conquest. Pop. in 1831, 707. Acres 4,500. A. P. £2,476. Poor rates, in 1837, £135.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Acaster Malbis The New Yorkshire Gazetteer 1828
Acaster Malbis, a parish and township in the Ainsty, 4½ miles S. from York; inhabitants, 291; a vicarage, value 5l.6s. 5½d.; patron, Paul Beilby Thompson, Esq. This parish contains the township of Naburn, in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent. Entire population, 657.
Source: The New Yorkshire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary; Stephen Reynolds Clarke; London 1828.
Acaster-Malbis – Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Acaster-Malbis, (Ainsty) a parish town; 4½ miles from York, 7 from Tadcaster – Pop. 291. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, value, pr. 32l. Patron, Paul Beilby Thompson, Esq. Bacon styles it a discharged vicarage, value, 5l. 6s. 5½d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Acaster-Malbis Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom Capper 1808
Acaster-Malbis, a parish in York Ainsty, E. Riding of York, 7 miles from York; containing 46 houses and 265 inhabitants; seated on the river Ouse. It is a vicarage, value 5l. 6s. 5d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: York
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Bishopthorpe
- Poor Law Union: York
- Hundred: York (Ansty)
- Province: York