Is a parish, comprising the hamlets of Aston Magna, Blockley, Ditchford, Dorn, Draycott, Northwick and Paxford – the hamlet, or town of Blockley, is 90 miles N. W. from London, 25 S. E. from Worcester, 10 S. E. from Evesham, and 3 N. W. by W. from Moreton-in-the-Marsh. It is surrounded by the county of Gloucester and a small portion of Warwickshire; amidst sloping hills and fruitful valleys, and noted for the fine springs of crystal water that rise in Dovedale, and flow through the village in all directions, affording great convenience to those employed in the silk-throwing business, for which, in this little place, there are no fewer than six establishments. The Oxford, Worcester and Staffordshire Railway, now constructing, will run within a mile of Blockley; and the Birmingham and Gloucester line passes about eighteen miles to the west. According to tradition, Dorn, in this parish, was formerly a city of some consequence; and the many old foundations, and Roman and British coins found in this neighbourhood, seem to countenance the truth of the report: at present however, the habitations consist of only farm houses. In the 9th of George IV. Blockley was made the head of a division, the petty sessions for which are held here; and the Bishop of Worcester, as lord of the manor holds by his steward, a manorial court occasionally.
The places of worship are the parish church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, and a chapel for Baptists. The church, which has lately been repaired and improved, is partly Norman, and partly in the early style of English architecture, with a tower – the latter rebuilt in 1795: the living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Worcester; the Rev. Miles Coyle is the present incumbent. A free school for thirty boys and twenty girls, is partly supported by bequests and partly by subscription. Within a mile of the village is Northwick Park, the fine seat of Lord Northwick; and in the vicinity of the town are a few other elegant residences. The parish contained, in 1831, 2,015 inhabitants, and in 1841, 2,136 – the population of Blockley, itself, at the present time is about 1,600.
POST OFFICE, Mary Bearcroft, Post Mistress. – Letters from London and various other parts, arrive every morning at half-past seven, and are despatched at seven in the evening. Letters from the West and some places South, arrive every morning at half-past ten, and are despatched at half-past one in the afternoon.
NOBILITY, GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Cannon Mrs. Esther, Blockley
Cockerill Sir Charles, Bart., Seizen Cottage
Collier Captain Edward, R.N., Blockley
Coyle Rev. Miles, Vicarage House
Folkeston Rev. Frederick George, Paxford
Hiron Mr. John, Blockley
Lygon Lieutenant-General Edward, Blockley
Lygon Lieutenant-General Henry, Blockley
Mintorn Mr. John, Dovedale
Mullins Mrs. Mary, Blockley
Northwick Honble. Lord, Northwick Park
Pain Mr. Richard, Blockley
Reddesdale the Honble. Lord, Batsford Park
Righhton Mrs. Ann, Blockley
Roberts Henry, Esq., Paxford
Roberts Mr. James, Blockley
Smith Mrs. Sarah, Rock Cottage
Bell, William Lane
Crown, Henry Oliver
Smith Charles Edward
SHOPKEEPERS & TRADERS.
Acocks Elizabeth, stay maker
Acocks John, blacksmith
Allcock William Stacy, ironmonger and plumber
Baldwin Louisa, shopkeeper
Bearcroft Mary, baker
Belcher Richard, secretary to the mechanics’ institute
Belcher Richard Boswell, draper
Belcher William, tailor and draper
Blackford William, baker
Bull Edgar, surgeon
Colney William, leather cutter
Davy John, plumber and glazier
Day William, carpenter
Dowsell William, carpenter
Edgington William, baker
Figgures Charles, plasterer
Figgures John, plasterer and painter
Figgures Thomas, painter and paper hanger
Fisher Fanny, dress maker
Fisher Thomas, blacksmith
Foster John, shoe maker
Hale Hannah, shopkeeper
Hale John, beer retailer
Hales Moses, stone mason
Harris Augustus Frederick, grocer
Herbert Anna, grocer and draper
Herbert John, butcher
Herbert John, beer retailer
Herbert Peter, tailor
Hobbs Mary, miller and baker
Hope Sarah, schoolmistress
Hopkins James, beer retailer
Keen James, shoe maker
Keen Joseph, master of free school
Kempson John, carpenter & builder
Mace Richard, miller
Moore Charles, shopkeeper
Nicholls Francis, shopkeeper
Pain Jonathan, miller
Perkins Thomas, saddler
Phipps William, shopkeeper and blacksmith
Pickering Charles, carpenter
Pickering James, tailor
Powell Thomas, stone mason
Smith Geo. Cannon, grocer & druggist
Smith James, agent to the General fire and life office
Smith Thomas, turner and chair maker
Stiles Sarah, dress maker
Taplin William, carpenter
Thornton Richard, shopkeeper
Watts William, hair dresser
Westmacott Henry & William, millwrights
Wheatcroft Edwd. registrar of births and deaths
Wilkshire John, stone mason
Williams Richd. shopkeeper & shoe mkr.
From the Bell.
To LONDON, John Ward, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
To BIRMINGHAM, – Hawkins, Tues.
To CHIPPING NORTON, John Ward, Saturday.
To STRATFORD-ON-AVON, Joseph Penson, Saturday.
To WARWICK, Joseph Penson, Saturday.
Source: Slater’s Directory (Worcestershire Section) 1850