Offenham Worcestershire Family History Guide
Offenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Parishes adjacent to Offenham
- North and Middle Littleton
- Badsey with Aldington
- South Littleton
- Norton and Lenchwick
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OFFENHAM, a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands on the river Avon, 1¼ mile S of the boundary with Warwick, and 2 NNE of Evesham r. station: took its name from King Offa, who had a house at it; and is a very retired place, untraversed by any carriage-road. The parish comprises 1,215 acres. Post-town, Evesham. Real property, £3,380; of which £12 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 400; in 1861, 461. Houses, 95. The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of workmen employed in rebuilding the church. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the abbots of Evesham; and fragments and extensive foundations of a mansion of the abbots were discovered, a few years ago, in diggings near the present manor farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £130. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1861, at a cost of about £1,800; is in the early decorated English style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a vestry; and retains the tower of the previous edifice, of late perpendicular date and embattled. There are an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Offenham – a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, upper division, 2 miles N.N.E. from Evesham, and 99 from London; containing 81 inhabited houses. It is pleasantly situated on the river Avon, over which was formerly a bridge in a line with the Worcester road, but was destroyed for the purpose of cutting off the retreat of the Earl of Leicester, at the battle of Evesham, in the year 1285. It is a curacy, united with North Littleton. Population, 1801, 264 – 1811, 298 – 1821, 343.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Marriages at Offenham 1543 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Note. – The earliest register is of paper (water-mark a flagon) bound in a cover of flexible parchment. The leaves number 76, and measure 15 by 11 inches. They are in very bad condition, and many of them loose. The heading runs :-
“Hereafter followe the names of suche p’sonnes that have bene christened within the parishe of Offenham since the ixth day of Novembre for the xxxth yere of the reigns of our Soveraigne Lord King Henrye the VIIIth, at which tyme his graces iniunctions were directed unto us. A’o D’m. 1538.”
The parchment copy of the above also exists, and consists of 59 leaves, measuring 15 by 6 inches. The contents include all entries between 1538-1720.
The third Volume is like the first, of paper, and contains 46 leaves, which measure 15 by 11 inches. The contents include the Burials and Baptisms, 1724-1812, and Marriages to 1753.
The fourth Volume contains Marriages only from 1754-1777, and the fifth Volume the remaining Marriages to 1812.
These extracts were made with the consent of the Vicar, the Rev. C. W. A. Preston, and are now printed under the supervision of the transcriber, the Rev. J. H. Bloom, after collation with the originals.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Evesham
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Blackenhurst
- Province: Canterbury