Frankley Worcestershire Family History Guide
Frankley is a chapelry of Halesowen Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin: 1598
Parishes adjacent to Frankley
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Frankley, a parish in Bromsgrove district, Worcester; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles WNW of Kings-Norton r. station, and 7 NNE of Bromsgrove. Post town, Hales-Owen, under Birmingham. Acres, 1, 901. Rated property, £993. Pop., 122. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. Lord Lyttleton takes hence the title of Baron. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, not reported. Patron, Lord Lyttleton. The church is partly of the time of Henry III., and was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
Frankley (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Bromsgrove, Lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, Stourbridge and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Hales-Owen; containing 170 inhabitants. The parish consists of 1711 acres, of which the surface is hilly. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway passes on the east. The living is a donative, in the gift of Lord Lyttelton, who enjoys the title of Baron Frankley. The church is a small ancient edifice. Judge Lyttelton, who died here in 1481, was a native of the parish; and a piece of water called Westminster Pool, from its area corresponding in extent with that of Westminster Hall, was formed by him.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Frankley – a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Hales-Owen, Salop, in the hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 7 miles N.N.E. from Bromsgrove, and 118 from London; containing 32 inhabited houses. This place gives the title of Baron to the Lyttelton [sic] family. Population, 1801, 194 – 1811, 174 – 1821, 189.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Marriages at Frankley 1604 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Bromsgrove
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Bromsgrove
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury