Last Updated on
Ashley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hook Gate and Ashley Heath.
Parish church: St. John
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1551
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Ashley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHLEY, a parish in the district of Market-Drayton, and county of Stafford; 4 miles SW of Whitmore r. station, and 5 ENE of Market-Drayton. It contains the village of Ashley-Heath, and part of the hamlet of Hook-Gate; and has a post office under Market-Drayton. Acres, 2,860. Real property, £5,308. Pop., 870. Houses, 195. The property is much subdivided. There is a Roman camp on a site 803 feet high. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £316. Patron, Mrs. Kinnersley, two turns, and H. Meynall Ingram, Esq., one turn. The church is very good, has a font given by a soldier of the Black Prince, and was enlarged by a chapel which contains handsome monuments of the Kinnersleys. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics, and charities £22.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Astin Edward, Ashley, maltster, June 12, 1838.
Family History Links
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
- Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury