Last Updated on
Hagley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Blakedown, Wassel, and Stakenbridge.
Parishes adjacent to Hagley
- Kidderminster St Mary
- Chaddesley Corbett
- Churchill in Halfshire
Historical Descriptions of Hagley
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Hagley Hall. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
Hagley, a parish in the hund. of Halfshire, union of Bromsgrove, county of Worcester; 2½ miles south-south-east of Stourbridge. Living, a rectory, with the curacies of Frankley and St. Kenalm, in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £10 6s. 5½d.; gross income £834. Patron, in 1835, Lord Littleton. Here are 2 daily schools. Charities, in 1830, £16 6s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £324 11s. Near the village is Hagley Park, justly esteemed as one of the most elegant and delightful seats in England. As it was once the retreat of the accomplished Lord Lyttleton, and was frequently visited by Pope, Thomson, Hammond, and other eminent persons of first-rate genius and literary talent, it may now be truly considered British classical ground. Hagley-hall is beautifully situated on an undulated lawn. The interior is decorated with many exquisite and interesting productions of art. The grounds are full of natural and artificial objects of attraction — picturesque scenes and ornamental structures, with everywhere a profusion of timber, numerous lawns and vistas, displaying the wildness of the forest or the desert, and the beauty of the garden. There are other elegant seats in this vicinity. Acres 2,830. Houses 135. A.P. £3,894. Pop., in 1801, 621; in 1831, 691.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Hagley – a parish in Halfshire hundred, lower division, 2 ½ miles S.S.E. from Stourbridge, and 123 from London; containing 124 inhabited houses. The church is a small neat building, in which are several monuments of the Lyttelton family. The living is a rectory; the Rev. John Turner, incumbent; instituted 1804; patron, Lord Lyttelton. Population, 1801, 621 – 1811, 610 – 1821, 595.
Hagley-Park, in the above village, is the seat of Lord Lyttelton, the descendant of one of the most ancient families in the county. Hagley-Hall is well known as having been the hiding place of two of the gunpowder-plot conspirators, Stephen Lyttleton and Robert Winter, who were apprehended within a few hours after they took refuge. The park is very extensive and well stocked with deer.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
- Hagley Bennett’s Business Directory for Worcestershire, 1914
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Bromsgrove
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Bromsgrove
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury