Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
Nonconformists include: Baptists
Parishes adjacent to Eckington
- Great Comberton
- Birlingham with Nafford
- Bredon’s Norton
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Eckington, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Pershore, union of Pershore, county of Worcester; 3½ miles south-south-west of Pershore; bounded on the north and west by the river Avon, and close upon the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd, and dio. of Worcester; rated at £5 1s. 8d.; gross income £149. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Westminster. All tithes, moduses, &c, the property of the dean and chapter of Westminster, vicar, and lord of the manor, were commuted in 1810. Here are 3 daily schools. Charities, in 1830, £2 3s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £168 6s. Acres 2,260. Houses 146. A.P. £4,151. Pop., in 1801, 550; in 1831, 700.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Eckington – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 4 miles S.W. from Pershore, and 105 from London; containing 109 inhabited houses; situate on the banks of the river Avon, over which is a good bridge, kept in repair by the inhabitants. The living is a vicarage; the Rev. John Ashley, incumbent; instituted 1812; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Population, 1801, 550 – 1811, 610 – 1821, 668.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Nafford, a hamlet in Eckington parish, Worcester; 3½ miles SSW of Pershore. It was once a parish; and it had a church, which long ago was destroyed.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury