Baddesley Ensor, Warwickshire Family History Guide
Baddesley Ensor is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1760 from a chapelry in Polesworth, Warwickshire Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1688
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Independents and Roman Catholics
Parishes adjacent to Baddesley Ensor
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Baddesley-Ensor, a parish in Atherstone district, Warwick; 3 miles WNW of Atherstone r. station. It has a post-office under Atherstone. Acres, 1,100. Real property, £2,278. Pop., 872. Houses, 171. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £106. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church is good. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Baddesley-Ensor, a parochial chapelry in the Tamworth division of the hund. of Hemlingford, union of Atherstone, county of Warwick; 3 miles west-north-west from Atherstone; on the post-road to Lichfield. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £16; gross income £106. Patrons, the inhabitants of the parish of Polesworth. There is an Independent church here, which was founded in 1800: also a Roman Catholic chapel. Here is a school with a small endowment, left by George Abbot in 1647: also four other daily schools. Pop., in 1801, 371; in 1831, 568. Houses 108. Acres 1,340. A P. £1,494. Poor rates, in 1837, £170.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Baddesley-Ensor (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Atherstone, Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 3 ½ miles (WNW) from Atherstone; containing 579 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1125 acres of land, of which the surface is hilly, and the prevailing soil a stiff clay: coal is abundant, the rateable annual value of the mines being returned at £524. The road from Tamworth to Atherstone crosses the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the inhabitants; net income, £106.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Atherstone
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Atherstone
- Hundred: Hemlingford
- Province: Canterbury