Ford Shropshire Family History Guide



Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1569
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Ford

Historical Descriptions

Ford

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

FORD, a parish, a division, and a hundred in Salop. The parish is in Atcham district; lies on the river Severn, near Watling-street, 3½ miles S of Baschurch r. station, and 5½ W by N of Shrewsbury; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 1,773. Real property, £4,385. Pop., 351. Houses, 81. The property is much sub-divided. Ford House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £91. Patron, J. Naylor, Esq. The church is ancient; contains a carved screen and an old font; and was recently in bad condition. The division is part of the hundred, and contains four parishes and parts of four others. Acres, 22,508. Pop. in 1851, 4,405. Houses, 885. -The hundred contains also Pontesbury division. Acres, 33,970. Pop. in 1861, 7,767. Houses, 1,531.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ford, a parish in the hund. of Ford, union of Atcham, county of Salop; 5¾ miles west by north of Shrewsbury, and south of the Severn. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 13s. 4d.; gross income £92. Patron, in 1835, W. E. Tomline, Esq. Here are a daily and a Sunday school. Acres 2,140. Housos 41. A. P. £3,229. Pop., in 1801, 349; in 1831, 263. Poor rates, in 1838, £78 7s

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ford. A parish in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford, a curacy remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 39 houses, 212 inhabitants. 5 miles west of Shrewsbury

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Little Hanwood

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hanwood Little. A township partly in the parish of St. Mary, partly in the parish of Ford, and in the liberties of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Parish Registers

The registers of Ford, Shropshire. 1569-1812

Transcribed and ed. by Miss. H.M. Auden.

Published 1900 by Priv. Print. for the Shropshire Parish Register Society in London

The registers of Ford, Shropshire. 1569-1812 – Archive.org

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Ford
  • Province: Canterbury

Further Reading

The Registers of Ford, Shropshire, 1569-1812 (Classic Reprint) Paperback – by H. M. Auden (Author)

Shropshire Parish Register Hereford Volume 1 Part 2 Ford 1569-1812 by W. G. D. Fletcher – W P W Phillimore

Shropshire Place-Names ending in “-ford” by Susan Laflin

The Place-Names of Shropshire: The Hundreds of Ford and Condover Part 2 (County Volumes of the Survey of English Place-Names) by Margaret Gelling and H. D. G. Foxall – Available at Amazon

The Place-Names of Shropshire: The Hundreds of Ford and Condover Part 2 (County Volumes of the Survey of English Place-Names) Margaret Gelling; H. D. G. Foxall – Available at AbeBooks

An architectural account of the churches of Shropshire. Part 3 – 9 [Franchise of Wenlock, Hundreds of Overs,Stottesden, Purslow, Clun, Condover, Ford, Chirbury, Bradford (South & North), Pimhill, Oswestry, preface & glossary] – [Part 10] Shrewsbury churc 1897 by D H S, plates by Martin J Harding, plans by W Arthur Webb CRANAGE – Available at Amazon

An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 : The Hundred of Condover & The Hundred of Ford Cranage, D H S Published by Hobson & Co, 1903 – Available at AbeBooks

HANDBOOK to the SEVERN VALLEY RAILWAY : From Worcester to Shrewsbury as it was in 1863 by J. Randall

A History of Shropshire: Volume VIII (0) (Victoria County History)