Alberbury is a parish and small village, 0 miles west from Shrewsbury station, 18 from Welchpool, partly in Ford hundred, Salop, and partly in Deythur and Cawse hundreds, Montgomeryshire, Atcham union, Shrewsbury county court district, South Salop, rural deanery of Pontesbury, Salop archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric. It is divided into Upper and Lower Quarters. The Upper Quarter consists of the townships of Great Wollaston, Bulthey, Winnington, and Trefnant. The Lower Quarter consists of the townships of Alberbury, Eyton, Shrawardine, Rowton, Amaston, and Bausley. The townships of Uppington, Middletown, and Criggion, each maintain their own poor. There are chapels of ease at Great Wollaston and at Criggion. The parish church of St. Micliael, an old stone building, has nave, chancel, and aisle (the latter belonging to Loton estate), a tower with clock and 5 bells; in the aisle are wall tablets and brasses to the Leighton family, and a stained glass window; in the nave are wall tablets and a window in memory of the Lyster family; in the chancel are seven memorial windows of stained glass, placed there in 1853, by John Lloyd, Esq. The earliest date of register is 1564. The living is a vicarage, composition for vicarial tithes, £156 15s. 10d. yearly, with residence and 35 acres of glebe land, in the gift of All Souls’ College, Oxford; the Rev. George F. Slade, M.A., All Souls’ College, Oxford, is the incumbent. There is a National school for boys and girls, endowed with £3 8s. per annum by the Fellows of All Souls’ College. Loton Park is the seat of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., M.P., and Rowton Castle the seat of Henry Lyster, Esq. Adjoining the church are the ruins of an ancient castle; and a farm, about half a mile distant, is the White Abbey. On Bausley Hill is a Roman encampment, and barrows are scattered about the parish. The population in 186I was 1,918; the acreage is 9,599. This district was closely settled by the Romnns.
Alberbury township, in Ford hundred and division, contains 3,143a. 3r. 13p. Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The population in 1861 was 632.
Red Abbey, White Abbey, The Hayes, Lower Wood, Stanford, Paddock, and Braggington Hail are places here.
Bulthey township, distant 3 miles west-south-west, contains 179a. 3r. 13p. The Bank and Play-y-Court are places here.
Rowton and Amaston are joint townships, in Ford hundred and division, distant respectively 1½ and 2½ miles south-east, and contain 1,522a. 0r. 23p. Henry Lyster, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Here is Rowton Castle.
Trefnant township, distant 4½ miles south-west, contains 527a. 3r. 20p. There is a mill called Dingle Mill.
Winnington, a township, 3 miles south-west, contains 1,604a. 3r. 19p. Mrs. Oldnall is principal landowner. The Glyn, in this township, is the birthplace of “Old Parr.” The Lodge, Hall Mill, and the Wood Leasowes are places here.
Wollaston, a township and chapelry in Ford division and hundred, distant 2 miles south-west, contains 496a. 0r. 18p.; the population in 1861 was 367. The chapel, rebuilt in 1788, is a barn-like stone building, with wooden turret and 1 bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Alberbury, and held by the Rev. John H. Harris, M.A. Near the chapel is a barrow. Wollaston forms part of the upper quarter of Alberbury.
Shrawardine is a township, in Ford hundred and division, Shropshire.
Eyton is a township, in Ford hundred and division.
Ford is a township, partly in this parish, which gives name to the hundred and division.
Bausley, a township in Deythur hundred, Montgomeryshire, distant about 4 miles, contains 1,684a. 2r. 2p.; the population in 1861 was 404.
Criggion, Upper and Lower, a township, in Cawse hundred, Montgomeryshire, distant about 6 miles, contains 2,401a. 1r. 4p., with a population in 1861 of 187. — Vickers, Esq., is the chief landowner.
Middletown, a township in Montgomeryshire, distant about 5 miles, contains 736a. 3r. 11p.
Uppington, a township in Montgomeryshire, distant about 7 miles, contains 1,002a. 0r. 14p.
Parish Clerk, Henry Poulter.
Leighton Sir Baldwin, bart. M.P. Loton pk
Severne Rev. William, Whiston Priory
Slade Rev. George F. M.A. Vicarage
Bretchell Colliery Co. (limited)
Bromley Thomas, farmer, Shrewden
Crane George, farmer, Benthall
Davenport Benjamin, farmer, Amaston
Davis Edward, manager to Bretchell Colliery Co
Derwas Thomas, farmer, Hayes
Evans Griffith, tailor
Evans Thomas, farmer, Bragginton
Fox William, blacksmith
Gittins Robert, farmer, Lower wood
Gittins John, farmer, Benthall cross
Jones David, farmer, Eyton
Jones John, farmer, Eyton
Jones John, farmer, The Hole farm
Kempster Richard, farmer, Lower house
Large James, Dragon, &. farmer
Marsh Walter, tailor, Stanford
Middle James, farmer
Morris Samuel, butcher, Paddock
Morris William, farmer, White abbey
Plimley Samuel, farmer
Plumley Henry, farmer. Hilly house
Randles John, farmer, Red abbey
Rogers Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper
Smith John K. farmer
Watkin Evan, farmer, Braggington
Wilde William, farmer, Hayes
Morgan John, farmer, Play-y-court
Speake John, farmer, Bulthey hill
Swaine John, farmer, Bank
Williams Richard, farmer, Bulthey hall
Lyster Henry, esq. Rowton castle
Bennett John, Windmill, & farmer
Dorricott Richard, farmer, Stretton heath
Jones John, farmer
Jukes Richard, farmer
Poulter Richard, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Poulter William, basket maker
Smout Richard, farmer
Brown John, farmer
Edwards John, farmer
Griffiths John, farmer
Kearne George, farmer
Rowlands John, miller, Dingle mill
Brown John, farmer
Brown Thomas, farmer
Edwards Thomas, farmer
Edwards Wm. farmer, Winnington grn
Davies Wm. Rose & Crown, & blacksmith
Jones John, farmer, Glyn common
Jones Thomas, farmer, Hargrave
Maddocks Robert, farmer, The Lodge
Preece Thomas, farmer
Pugh Richard, farmer, Glyn
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Hall mill
Rogers William, farmer. Hall mill
Turner John, farmer, Wood Leasowes
Clemson Thomas, farmer, Parton wood
Clemson Thomas, farmer
Eddowes Thomas, farmer, The Lane
Jones Richard, farmer
Marsh Walter, tailor
Pickford Charles, wheelwright
Smout Francis, farmer
Turner Edward, blacksmith
Post Office. — Miss Elizabeth Rogers, receiver. Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Shrewsbury
National School, Samuel Edwards, master; Mrs. Edwards, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.