Wingrave, Buckinghamshire Family History



Wingrave is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1550

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Wingrave

  • Hulcott
  • Bierton with Broughton
  • Aston Abbots
  • Drayton Beauchamp
  • Wing
  • Tring
  • Hardwick

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WINGRAVE, a parish, with W. village and Rowsham hamlet, in Aylesbury district, Bucks; 2 miles NNW of Marston-Gate r. station, and 5½ NE of Aylesbury. It has a post-office under Aylesbury. Acres, 2,600. Real property, £4,145. Pop., 863. Houses, 173. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £120. Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is early and later English. There are two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £30.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Wingrave with Rowsham, 3 miles N.E. Aylesbury. P. 814

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Administration

  • County: Buckinghamshire
  • Civil Registration District: Aylesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
  • Diocese: Post-1844 – Oxford, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Mursley
  • Poor Law Union: Aylesbury
  • Hundred: Cottesloe
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.