All Hallows London Wall, London Family History Guide
All Hallows, London Wall is an Ancient Parish in the county of London.
Parish registers begin: 1559
Nonconformists include: Greek Orthodox and Independent/Congregational.
Parishes adjacent to All Hallows, London Wall
- St Stephen Coleman Street
- St Peter le Poer with St Benet Fink
- St Helen Bishopsgate
- St Katherine Cree
- St Botolph without Aldgate
- St Botolph without Bishopsgate
- St Ethelburga
- St Andrew Undershaft with St Mary Axe
- St James’ Duke’s Place
London Parishes 1824
ALHALLOWS, LONDON WALL.
This church takes its name from being dedicated to All Saints, and London Wall is of course added to denote its situation. History does not tell us when it was founded, but there were £220 expended on the old church in the year 1627, and it escaped the dreadful fire of 1666. The present structure was erected A. D. 1767. It is situate on the north wall of London, in the ward of Broad-street, but the parish is in the wards of Broad-street, Bishopsgate, Lime- street, and Aldgate. It is a rectory in the gift of the Lord Chancellor or Lord Keeper for the time being, said to be worth about £600. Rector, Rev. Archdeacon Nares. — No Lecturer. — Parish-clerk, Mr. Thomas Jeune. Divine Service at 11 and 3. An open vestry. 2 bells. About 200 houses.
Carpenters’ Hall and Broad-streeet Ward School are in this parish.
The boundaries begin at 48 London wall, and extend to No. 6 Leathersellers’ buildings; crossing to 22 Little Bell Alley, away to London wall again, as far as 13 Wormwood street. From the Saraoen’s head, Camomile street, to No. 17 (including No. 7 and 8 in Bury court) ; and from No. 16 St. Mary Axe. to 31 Bevis Marks; with Nos. 6 and 7 in Castle court. A few houses in Little St. Mary Axe are in this parish, also the whole of the north side of Camomile street, and as far as 23 Wormwood street.
Source: London parishes: containing the situation, antiquity, and re-building of the churches within the bills of mortality. B. Weed 1824
A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs 1831
ALLHALLOWS London wall the church of stands a little westward of Broad street in London wall whence it derives its second name It is a rectory the patronage of which was anciently in the prior and convent of the Holy Trinity near Aldgate who in 1335 presented it to Thomas Richer de Sanston At the dissolution of religious houses in the reign of Henry VIII this church with the priory to which it belonged was surrendered to the crown in whose gift the advowson still remains Its present rector is the Rev Robert Nares a canon residentiary of Litchfield archdeacon of Stafford and a prebendary of St Paul’s He was instituted in 1817 It escaped the fire in 1666 but became latterly so ruinous that in 1765 the parishioners obtained an act of parliament to pull it down and rebuild it which they did from the designs of the elder Mr Dance the then city architect who also built the churches of Shoreditch and Bishopsgate It is a plain substantial church of brick and stone with a well proportioned stone tower and cupola.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs 1831; James Elmes; Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831
A Handbook for London 1849
Allhallows In The Wall. A church in Broad-street Ward, built by the younger Dance, in 1765, and so called “of standing close to the wall of the City.” The old church escaped the Fire, but in 1764 had become so dangerously dilapidated, that an Act of Parliament was obtained for its removal, and the present church erected at a cost of 2941l. The first stone was laid 10th July, 1765, and the church consecrated 8th September, 1767. In the chancel is a tablet to the Rev. William Beloe, the translator of Herodotus, and twenty years rector of this parish, (d. 1817). Nares, so well known by his “Glossary,” was his successor in the living, (d. 1829). Over the Communion Table is a copy, by Sir Nathaniel Dance, of Cortona’s picture of “Ananias restoring Paul to sight,” a present from the painter.
Source: A Handbook for London, Past and Present. Peter Cunningham. Published by John Murray 1849.
- County: London
- Civil Registration District: London City
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of London
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1869 – None, Post-1868 – East
- Poor Law Union: City of London
- Hundred: London, Within the Walls
- Province: Canterbury