Ardeley, Hertfordshire Family History Guide
Alternative names: Yardley, Yardeley
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1546
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Parishes adjacent to Ardeley
- Great Munden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARDELEY, or Yardley, a parish in Royston district, Herts; on the river Beane, 4 miles W of Westmill r. station, and 4½ SW by W of Buntingford. Post Town, Buntingford. Acres, 2,405. Real property, £3,815. Pop., 574. Houses, 126. The manor was given by Athelstane to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s. Ardeley-Bury belonged once to the Cornwalls, then to the Chaunceys; and passed to the Murrays. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £224. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s. The church was repaired in 1850. and has a brass of a priest. Charities, £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Yardley (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Buntingford, hundred of Odsey, county of Hertford, 4 ½ miles (W. S. W.) from Buntingford; containing 633 inhabitants. It comprises 2405a. 1r. 12p., of which 1650 acres are arable, 472 meadow and pasture, 190 woodland, and 92 common and waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £12, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s, London; impropriator, J. Murray, Esq. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £180, and the impropriate for £350; there are 21 ½ acres of impropriate glebe. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire; the windows are embellished with stained glass, and the walls painted in fresco, which had been long concealed until some late repairs. Chauncy, the historian of Hertfordshire, was interred here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Royston
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Rochester, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Baldock, Post-1844 – Bennington
- Poor Law Union: Buntingford
- Hundred: Edwinstree
- Province: Canterbury