Aldenham, Hertfordshire Family History Guide
Other places in the parish include: Letchmore Heath
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Parishes adjacent to Aldenham
- Little Stanmore
- St Albans St Stephen
- Great Stanmore
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aldenham, an extensive parish in the hund. of Cashio, union of Watford, county of Hertford; 2½ miles from Watford station, on the London and Birmingham railroad. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Huntingdon and dio. of Lincoln; rated at £24; gross income £425. The church is an old building, composed of cemented flint-stones. Patrons, in 1835, the trustees of Peter Thellusson, Esq. There are here six alms-houses and a free grammar-school, all of which were founded and endowed in 1599 by Richard Piatt, citizen and brewer of London. In this school are educated 50 children who are chosen from the poor of Aldenham, and the families of the freemen of the Brewers’ company London; and, failing these, from the neighbouring parishes. The income of these charities amounts to £1,032 2s. per annum; and the whole is under the direction of the master and wardens of the Brewers’ company. The master, who is elected by them, must be possessed of the degree of M. A. His salary is £200. There is also a National school. The amount of other charities to the poor of this parish, is £17. Pop., including the hamlet of Theobald’s Street, in the hund. of Dacorum, in 1801, 1,103; in 1831, 1,494. Houses 278. Acres 5,830. A. P. £3,962. Poor rates, in 1837, £411.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aldenham, 2¼ miles N.E. Watford. P. 1662
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Comprehensive Gazetter of England and Wales 1895
Letchmore Heath, a village in Aldenham parish, Herts, 3 miles ENE of Watford. It has a post and money order office under Elstree (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Radlett railway station.
Source: Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales; Brabner, John Henry Fryden; Volume: 4; William Mackenzie, London. 1895.
- County: Hertfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Watford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)
- Post-1844 – Rochester,
- Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery:
- Pre-1845 – Berkhampstead,
- Post-1844 – Watford
- Poor Law Union: Watford
- Hundred: Cashio; Dacorum
- Province: Canterbury