Last Updated on
Witney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Oxfordshire
Other places in the parish include: Curbridge and Lew.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1551
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1682; 1721
Parishes adjacent to Witney
- Brize Norton
- Bampton Lew
- Minster Lovell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Witney, market town, par., and township with ry. sta., Oxfordshire, 5 miles NE. of Bampton and 11¾ W. of Oxford – par., 7083 ac., pop. 5046; town and township, 188 ac., pop. 3017; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday. Witney is an ancient place, with a 13th century church, a blanket hall of 1721, a town hall, a county court house, a corn exchange, an old market cross, and a 3-arched bridge over the Windrush. It has glove-making and other industries, and has long been known for its mfrs. of blankets.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Lew, a hamlet in the parish of Witney, county of Oxford; 3½ miles south-west by south of Witney. Acres 1,500. Houses 44. A. P. £1,470. Pop., in 1801, 222; in 1831, 237. Poor rates, in 1838, £137 14s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Early John, jun., Witney, Oxfordshire, girth webb manufac., Aug. 5, 1842.
- County: Oxfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Witney
- Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
- Diocese: Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Witney
- Poor Law Union: Witney
- Hundred: Bampton (Oxfordshire)
- Province: Canterbury