Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1546
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Other places in the parish include: Edstone, Waves Wootton, Wootton Wawen with Edstone
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Wootton Wawen
- Aston Cantlow
- Preston Bagot
- Henley in Arden
- Morton Bagot
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOOTTON-WAWEN, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick. The township lies on the Birmingham and Stratford-on-Avon canal, 2 miles NW by N of-Bearley r. station, and 6½ NNW of Stratford-on-Avon; and has a post-office under Birmingham. Real property, £7,762. Pop., 676. houses, 146. The parish includes Henley-in-Arden township and Ullenhall chapelry; and comprises 8,700 acres. Pop., 2,253. Houses, 497. The manor belonged to Wagen or Waven the Saxon; went, in the Norman times, to the Staffords; and passed, in the time of Henry VIII., to the Smythes. W. Hall belongs to Sir F. Smythe, Bart.; is occupied by Lady Chatterton; and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel. Edstone Hall belongs to D. Galton, Esq. Barrels was the seat of Earl Catherlough, and belongs now to Mrs. Newton. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Conches abbey in Normandy, was founded in the parish by the Staffords; and was given, by Henry VI., to Kings College, Cambridge. There is an extensive tannery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patron, Kings College, Cambridge. The church is partly Norman, partly of later dates; and was the church of the priory. The p. curacy of Henley-in-Arden and the vicarage of Ullenhall are separate benefices. There are several schools and some charities. The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 17,747. Pop., 3,797. Houses, 840.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Wootton-Waven, 2 miles S. Henley-in-Arden. P. 2303
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Wootton Wawen, or Waven, – an extensive parish in Barlichway hundred, 6 miles NNW from Stratford, and 100 from London. The sum raised by parochial rates in 1803, including Aspley, Fordhall, Henley-in-Arden, and Ullenhall, was £1628 8s. 9d. at 5s. 2d. in the pound. In 1811, it contained 100 houses, and 570 inhabitants. In 1821, 119 houses and 541 inhabitants. (It is a vicarage value £11 9s. 7d. in the patronage of King’s College, Cambridge). In 1826, it was valued at £6831, Aspley at £1301, Henley-in-Arden at £3018, and Ullenhall at £3917; and their joint proportion to the county rate was £62 15s. 7d.
Wootton Wawen, Dugdale says, acquired the first part of its name from Woocton (woods) to Wooton, and the second part from Wagen or Wawen, a person of note, who possessed this lordship before the conquest. It was bestowed on one of his adherents, who chose Stafford for his principal seat, from which he assumed his surname of Stadford or Stafford. His descendants held this manor till the attainder of Edward Duke of Buckingham, in Henry VIII’s time. In the time of Elizabeth, it was conveyed by purchase to the Smythes. Of this family, Sir Charles Smythe was created baron by Charles I. (for his attachment to that monarch) in 1643, under the title of Baron Carrington of Wotton, it became extinct, in 1705; but Lady Smythe still resides here, in a handsome and commodious mansion: it is a picturesque spot; but the village altogether is unlike an English village, and appears in a great state of dilapidation and decay. There was anciently here a small Benedictine Priory, belonging to the Abbey of Conches in Normandy. Of these “Alien Priories,” few were permitted to be established in England; and there few were always regarded with suspicion by a portion, ever jealous of foreign influence. Under many discouraging circumstances, the priory of Wotton subsisted, till so early as the reign of Henry VI when it was dissolved.
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
Wootton Wawen Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Wootton Wawen but who were married in another parish.
Phillip Bartlam, of Wamsmore, p. Wootton Wawen, co. War., & Ann Handy, of N. L. 24 June 1712 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Warwick
- Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
- Hundred: Barlinchway
- Province: Canterbury